Thermos, vacuum flask, insulated food jars or whatever you call it, these nifty appliances are really handy to bring hot homemade lunches to work or to keep your soup or coffee piping hot. Here are 10 of the best thermos for soup and hot foods to consider, from small and lightweight food jars to larger, multi-purpose containers.
1. Thermos Stainless King Cranberry 16 Ounce Food Jar
A classic and reliable brand, Thermos has been producing well, thermoses for over a century. The wide opening of this 16 oz stainless steel thermos makes it easy to fill, eat from and clean whether it’s straight from the thermos or the insulated lid that doubles up as a serving bowl. Its thermal insulation technology promises to keep hot foods hot for 7 hours and cold for 9 hours.
Capacity: 16 oz (473 ml)
Dimensions: 5.6 x 3.7 x 5.6 inches
Color: Choice of 5 beautiful colors
Material: Stainless steel interior and exterior
- Stainless steel folding spoon
- Compact and insulated stainless steel serving bowl
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
2. Energify Vacuum Insulated Food Jar 22 oz
If you’re tired of hard to open thermoses, the Energify vacuum insulated food jar may just be what you need. It has an air pressure release button to allow hassle-free opening. The insulated jar eliminates the need to reheat with a microwave, thus offering you a smarter choice for a healthier lifestyle. Moreover, the generous 22 oz capacity lets you hold sufficient food, beverages or soup, which makes it ideal for those who prefer a larger portion.
Capacity: 22 oz (650 ml)
Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 7.5 inches
Material: Food grade 304 stainless steel (main body inside & outside) and 100% BPA-FREE
- Flexible silicone handle for convenient carrying
- Non-slip silicon base offers firm grip on any smooth surface and eliminates risk of scratching the surface
- Air-pressure release button to remove excess air for easy opening
- Wide mouth opening offers ease of filling, eating from and cleaning
- Scratch resistant
- Stainless steel foldable spoon
- Velvet carry bag
- eBook with meal ideas for the food jar
The Thermos FOOGO food jar is a popular choice for many parents to pack fresh and healthy meals for their toddlers. It has a durable exterior to withstand the rigors of daily use. Put your mind at ease with this product as it complies with applicable government and industry standard. Your toddlers will love using this lightweight and compact food jar for their school lunches.
Capacity: 10 oz (300 ml)
Dimensions: 8.5 x 6 x 3.5 inches
Material: Stainless Steel and BPA free materials
Color: Available in 7 color combinations
- Ergonomically-designed lid with a rubber lid for easy handling
- THERMOS vacuum insulation technology provides maximum temperature retention, warm or cold
4. Thermos Funtainer Purple 10 Ounce Food Jar
Another popular food flask for small kids is the Thermos Funtainer. It comes in multiple fun designs such as My Little Pony, Disney Cars, Minions, Hello Kitty, Frozen and an array of colors that will appeal to kids of different ages and the young at heart. The small 10 oz Funtainer is just right for kids and they’ll keep contents hot for 5 hours or cold for 7 hours.
Capacity: 10 oz (295 ml)
Dimensions: 4.5 inches (H) x 3.5 inches (W) x 3.5 inches (D)
Material: Stainless Steel and BPA free material
- Double wall stainless steel construction
- Wide mouth opening makes food jar easy to fill and clean
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy for small hands to open
5. LunchBots Wide Thermal 16 oz
If eating from narrow and tall thermal jars make lunchtime a little awkward, try the Lunchbots wide thermal. It is specially designed to mimic a bowl shape, making it easy to eat from and convenient to fill. Its triple-insulated thermal technology keep foods hot for 6 hours and cold for 12 hours. Both the outer and interior including the underside of the lid is made of stainless steel so no plastic touches the food. The convenient 2-cup size is ideal for anything from soups, stews to fruit salads and oatmeal.
Capacity: 16 oz. (475 ml)
Dimensions: 4.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 inches
Material: All stainless steel interior
Colors: Available in 5 vibrant shades
- Dishwasher safe
- Leak-proof design makes it convenient for hectic schedules
- Fits perfectly in Lunchbots containers and Duplex thermal lunch bag
6. Zojirushi SL-JAE14RU Mr Bento Stainless Lunch Jar
Capacity: Varies as each container has a different size
Dimensions: 6 x 5.38 x 8.75 in
Material: Stainless Steel (Container) and Polypropylene (Lid), BPA free materials
Color: Available in four colors
- Durable stainless steel construction with excellent heat retention
- Wide-mouthed lid
- Microwaveable inner bowls
- Easy to wash nonstick coated outer container
- Spork included for convenience
- Zippered bag with strap for easy transport
7. Zojirushi Stainless Steel Aqua Blue Food Jar
Meet the sleek Zojirushi Stainless Steel Food Jar. Beautiful and functional with excellent vacuum insulation to keep contents hot or cold for hours. For best results, pre-heat or pre-chill the food with hot or ice water for optimal heat retention. The dimpled lid can be removed completely for thorough cleaning. Great for holding hot meals, soups, oatmeal, cold desserts and much more. It is ideal for both adults and children.
Capacity: 25 oz. (0.75 Liter)
Dimensions: 7.25 inches (H) x 4 inches (W) x 4 inches (D)
Material: Stainless Steel and BPA free materials
Color: Comes in 5 gorgeous shades
- Compact design uses minimal space while maximizing capacity
- Tight-fitted lid with gasket seals lid to minimize leaks and maximize heat retention
8. MIRA Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Lunch Thermos
Mira may not be as well known as the more established brands, but it does an excellent job of keeping foods hot for up to 5 hours or cold for up to 10 hours thanks to its high quality insulation. Enjoy your hot soups and stews, cold yogurt and more on the go with Mira.
Capacity: 13.5 oz. (400ml)
Dimensions: 3.2 x 3.2 x 5 inches
Material: Stainless Steel and BPA free
Color: Comes in 5 vibrant colors
- Reusable and eco-friendly
- Easy to fill wide mouth
- Durable double wall wall vacuum insulated construction for superior insulation
- Durable powder coated finish
- Satisfaction guaranteed
9. Stanley 17 oz Classic Vacuum Bottle
With a rich 100+ year history, Stanley is still going strong. It is an icon of durability and reliability for vacuum bottles. The Classic series is available in 2 colors and a range of sizes. Rugged and built to last, it is ideal for those who enjoy having their meals outdoors while doing their favorite activities. The 17 oz classic bottle is perfect for soup or chili and promises to keep hot foods hot and cold ones cold for 12 hours. All Stanley thermoses come with a lifetime warranty.
Capacity: 17 oz (500 ml)
Material: Rust-free 18/8 stainless steel, BPA-free
- Leak proof design
- Twist-off lid
- Lifetime warranty
- Replacement parts for Stanley Thermos available here
10. Stanley Adventure Vacuum Insulated Food Jar
The Stanley Adventure food jar is a sleek vacuum bottle that will make you proud to take out. More importantly, the vacuum insulation will keep contents hot or cold for up to 15 hours. The wide mouth allows easy filling and cleaning. From keeping soup hot to keeping ice cream nice and cold, Stanley’s Vacuum Food Jar will do it all. It is available in 3 sizes to suit different needs.
Capacity: 24 oz. (709 ml)
Dimensions: 3.9 x 3.9 x 7.9 inches
Material: 18/8 rust-free stainless Steel and BPA free materials
- Spork included
- Dry storage in stopper for fixings
- Leak-proof and fully packable
So there’s a lot of choices when it comes to keeping your soup steaming hot or foods icy cold! I admit it’s quite a tough choice. I personally like the Thermos Stainless King. It is sturdy, beautiful and efficient at what it does. The Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle also gets my vote simply because I’m a sucker for old-school designs. Both of these brands have an excellent reputation and can be trusted to retain heat for extended periods of time.
To find the best thermos, consider these factors:
I hope this article helps you find the most suitable thermos to suit your needs.
If you like vacuum insulated products, check out these articles too:
What is your favorite thermos? I’d love to hear your opinions in the comments below!